Thursday 7 February 2013

Trumpy F-100 plus internet forum twattery

Hi, welcome to the blog.

First off may I just say thank you very much to all those who sponsored me for the Dryathalon.  Thanks to your generosity I raised £150 for Cancer Research UK (more if you add in the gift aid).  It was hard, very hard at times, to go the whole month with no alcohol however I did it, I don't think I could have if it wasn't for the support of the sponsors.  So a shout out to; Nige Poole, Mike Williams, Tracey next door, Mum and Dad, Maru, Bouyacasha, Geoff Coughlin, Neil Pinchbeck, Peter at Airscale, plus the anonymous sponsors.  Thank you all.

Now, the subject of internet forum twattery (I nicked the phrase from good mate Drewe Manton and his blog, in fact he is much better at this ranting than me!).  I know this hobby tends to attract a sub section of society; the male, beardy weirdy, never seen a girl naked in real life sort who loves nothing else than to sit behind a computer in his bedroom (his mother is downstairs watching Corrie probably) and just talk utter crap on a modelling forum.  Now, I take my hobby seriously but it certainly is not what my whole life revolves around. For these types it does.  That probably explains why they really can't help themselves when a new kit is announced and they try and be an expert by stating that this shape is wrong and that bit is obviously wrong; and just by looking at a crappy picture of a piece of card stuck on a manufacturers display which shows a work in progress CAD picture.  Even better, they may even get a photo of the real thing and draw lines all over it showing that they really are someone to be admired because they've proved the curve of the canopy is slightly off.  One bloke even suggested to Spencer Pollard (a very talented modeller) that the reason his MiG-29 was so good was that is a very expensive Great Wall Hobby kit and therefore he'd be much better off with the older, less detailed, less refined and inaccurate (in places) Academy kit as he'd save a few quid and test his modelling skills.  The best one had to have been the bloke who criticised the box art of the forthcoming Trumpeter Albatross because the painting depicted a small ship which wasn't sinking accurately.  Yep, you just read that right, he was criticising the ship in the painting for sinking inaccurately.  Even when the artist who painted the picture stated he took the inspiration from an actual picture he'd found he still wasn't satisfied.  Honestly, I'm not making this up, this really happened!  All forums have their fair share of these pillocks but one in particular has more than it's fair share, I won't name this British based modelling forum but I think you may be able to guess, you definitely will if you've been there.  I'm going to say it, and say it loud....

GET A LIFE YOU BORING, DULL LITTLE INSIGNIFICANT MAN.  NOBODY LIKES YOU VERY MUCH!

Ah, that feels better.

Right, now I've got that little lot off my chest, it's now time for some modelling.  Here is my Trumpeter F-100F in 1:48, built for Model Airplane International magazine, (as such I've only posted a few pictures as a taster for the article).  Suffice to say I had a great time doing this, it was a very involved projects as it has almost every after market set available, even some pilot's helmets (True Details by the way)!  You've got to love these Danish aircraft, I don't know the mechanism behind the fading paint but it is a great canvass for a model.

First off though, a plea.  I painted up the boarding ladder but you'll notice it's not on the model.  That's because it has completely disappeared.  On moment it was there, the next it had gone   So, if anyone has a Trumpeter F-100 in 1:48 and doesn't want theirs could they possible send it to me, pretty please!







Here's a few pics of the real thing.









My next modelling project will be an AFV or a ship.  Hopefully, up at Linton-on-Ouse I'll have internet access in the Officer's Mess.  If so I'll do another SBS on the blog of that project, if not I'll just take a few in progress shots as I go along and post them as and when I can.

Right, now the F-100 is finished, I can pack for the move up to Linton!  So until next time, keep calm and just have a little think before making that forum post!  ;-)

Cheers

Jamie

3 comments:

  1. Hi there Jamie!
    I'm really proud of you for your fund raising and mostly for not having drunk any drop of alcohol. I've not been through this so I would probably be far from reality, if I told you that it must be really hard... I'm a smoker and I know how hard it is to quit, maybe alcohol must be harder. I don't know, but I'm really proud of you! Keep going.
    You sound very upset about that English forum. Spencer Pollard is really gifted and I truely admire his work. Sooooo... I totally understand your point of view.
    I've always considered scale modelling as a passion and I really enjoy it, as much as I enjoy my life together with this hobby. The point people should never miss or forget is "having fun" and this is all about what modelling is. It's a shame to criticise those who are enjoying themselves even at great levels. I don't know this forum but clearly understand that this man must be a no-life. Whatever... Leave the bad guys on the side of the road and keep building your path.
    Enough with this!
    You're doing a fantastic job and I'm always very impressed by your work! Keep going!
    Alex!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jamie

    Well done on avoiding the fire water for a month and the money you raised. The wife has put us all on a diet here, she says my wind and muscle is fat! lol

    As to the modelling Geeks, I used to see the same thing in the model railway scene, we called them "Rivet Counters" and they were really annoying. Saw some arguments with them almost end up in punch ups a few times over the years. I had one Geek criticise the amount of weathering I did on a F-86 Sabredog saying it was too much and that bare metal aircraft were never that dirty in real life. I put him in his place by telling him I had seen photographic evidence proving him wrong and these photographs were taken by a friends uncle who was a USAF pilot flying Sabres and Phantoms in both Korea and Vietnam. He was lost for words after this!

    Now, the faded paint on the F-100. The fuselages get a lot of heat damage in these areas around the tail section. Those marking are where the paint has burnt away, look for some photos of the F-100's in bare metal to see the heat staining of the metal. Here's a couple of links for you.

    http://www.passarodeferro.com/2012/04/o-super-sabre-m639-17al2012.html

    http://www.warbirdregistry.org/jetregistry/f100-563948.html

    I hope this answers the question of the faded paint?

    Enjoy you time at Linton and don't try to copy that landing made at the beginning of January!

    Mick

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love that F-100, the metalised area of the fuselage is stunning.

    ReplyDelete